Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Tucson, Arizona

We had a broken nights sleep at the border. One of the border control staff lives there with his 23 dogs. Yep you read it correctly and I didn't type it incorrectly, 23 dogs!
They had barked for a while when we arrived and not long after getting into bed one came over to growl at us. But at some stage in the night a pack of Coyotes must have come close and the ensuing bark-a-thon was just so loud that it was funny. Eventually the coyotes must have moved on and the night was silent. Cool experience.
We got up and went to the border to have the obligatory photos etc. The staff at the border are the friendliest American border control staff in the world. They even cooked us breakfast as we waited to see if we could catch the Shuttle. This is the quietest crossing in the States with an average of about 5 crossings per day!! They get bored we reckon??
At about 9.30am a Shuttle arrived that passes through Tucson on the way to Phoenix.
Thankfully they had room for three smelly cyclists and their bikes.
We are now in Tucson in a motel relaxing.
We will post some more photos tomorrow.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulation - well done. you're heros, you've earned relaxing days on Rarotonga, eating and chilling out. Fantastic.
Dany and Charlie

Anonymous said...

Well done guys, awesome achievement. Have a safe trip back and I'll catch you soon,

Dazza

Anonymous said...

What took you so long? Congrats! Keep in touch - Big Al...

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'm happy you made it. Thanks for all the posts and pictures, and have a safe trip back to New Zealand!
Your friend in Butte, Montana,
Pat

Anonymous said...

Congrats,

You'll enjoy the moment for years.
Hope return back to reality will not be too much of a shock, but you can always plan your next expedition if you haven't started to already! R & R in R. Hope to catch up before the end of the year. Maybe?!!
Smash

Anonymous said...

Fantastic achievement!
We met you on a cycle path in Frisco, Colorado & were enthralled by the stories you shared even in 10 minutes!
Thanks for the blog too!
So what is the next challenge?
Take care,
Paul [the Brit] from San Diego

Anonymous said...

Hi Jo and Scott! Congratulations on finishing the Great Divide! It is definitely an achievement. Fantastic! I'm halfway through reading your blog and reminiscing my own divide ride...I'm the English guy you met on the dam on your first day riding out of Banff! I remember you were both a bit overwhelmed by all the climbing and how heavy your bikes were, you both made it! I really wanted to turn round and ride back to Mexico! My name is Paul if you forgot!!
I found your blog through Alan Haag's blog on the ACA webiste, I think I met him in Fernie at the hostel, he looks familiar. If you put your blog on the ACA website I'm sure you'll get more people like me crawling out of the woodwork that you met on your trip.
I love your blog and all the photos, I'm just about to start the write up of my ride, My photos are all on Facebook if you want to check them out. Paul Maude Boulder Colorado.

p.s. You may have seen my uncle Derrick in Silver City N.M. a couple of weeks back, he is riding the Southern Tier with Adventure Cycling and one of the blokes in his group mentioned 2 Kiwi Divide Riders in his blog...it could only be you two! small world

Congratulations again!